Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Shop Review: Fat and the Moon

This week's Shop Review covers a couple of products from Etsy shop Fat and the Moon. Fat and the Moon focuses on organic, non chemical replacements for body care essentials. The store offers a range of products from natural antiseptic wound care to baby/mother care to beauty products.

  For this post, I decided to focus on the base of beauty that is often ignored or ill treated: the skin. So, I ordered a tin of Tooth Polish and a jar of Pimple Mud. Lately, I've noticed that my skin has been prone to breakouts, an upsetting development from after my pregnancy because as a teenager my skin was naturally clear. Due to my sensitive skin, washing it with even the most gentle over the counter cleansers dries it out. I also noticed that my teeth could use a pick me up (I drink tea pretty heavily), and having crooked teeth makes the standard whitening trays pretty much ineffective, not to mention all of the gum irritating chemicals are very annoying.

My package came within a week after it was shipped. The box was surprisingly heavy to me when I pulled it out of our mailbox and I was excited to see my products. When I first opened the box, a lemony, clean smell wafted out and filled the room. The box was compactly packed, it wasn't larger than it had to be, and any space not taken up by my jars was filled in with plain tissue paper. 

(The review for these products come from about 1 week of use)

Tooth Polish: The tooth polish came in a cute 2oz metal tin with a screw off lid. The front of the tin had Fat and the Moon's signature font labelling it as tooth polish and the back had the ingredients and instructions. The instructions warn you not to scrub your gums with it.

Unscrewing the lid allowed a slightly lemony baking soda smell to waft out. The tooth polish looks like fine, very light brown dust. I really love this stuff. It says to only use it once a week, but I scrub my teeth (gently!) with tooth polish every other day. My teeth feel very clean and have gotten noticeably whiter in just a few days. The taste is something to get used to.

Pimple Mud: The Pimple Mud comes in a small glass jar that can hold 2oz of it. It holds what looks like green mud: very thick and slightly grainy. It doesn't have a very strong smell, but there is a very weird subtle smell when you put the mud on your face. I first used it as a mask. It was a little tough to spread it over my face; the mud is very thick and I didn't thin it out with water. I let it sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. I would recommend wiping it off with a warm, damp washcloth. My skin felt very smooth, clean, and tight after using it as a mask. My blemishes were significantly less red and seemed smaller. When I used it as a spot treatment, I got the same result.

(Bonus!) Shampoo Bar Sample: The shampoo bar sample that was included in my package was a very welcome surprise. I have been wanting to try a shampoo bar for a while, but didn't want to commit to getting a whole huge bar in case I didn't love it. The sample that I received was more than enough for a few washings. Although it can be a little tricky to use, (it doesn't lather up) it got my hair very clean and soft.


I'm very impressed with this shop. Although it's a little pricey, it's totally worth it. Fat and Moon's products last longer and work better than their cheaper supermarket counter parts and have less chemicals, to boot. My goal is to get through all of Fat and Moon's products. Next time, I will be trying their Anise Tooth Soap and Dream Weaver Spray.

Look forward to next week's Shop Review!

No comments:

Post a Comment