Friday, August 26, 2016

I've been busy/ Short Shop Review: Sam Heimer

Greetings, Fanatics!

 This week has been a time of transition for our family. Our littlest creep has started his career in the public school system, a system that Aaron (home-schooled) and I (truant) are both bewildered by and are grateful for. I have a large commission order on my work table, due on the 1st, so I've been sewing away at that. That, plus the change in our sleep schedule (no more midnight movies) means that I haven't had as much time to devote to this blog as I'd like. BUT. As we get into the swing of things and with the approach of the Halloween season, I think you'll find that our blog is about to be more entertaining than it's ever been.

Shop reviews are usually on Wednesdays, but like I said, I've been crazy busy this past week. This week's shop review is on artist Sam Heimer. The school year has started and that's always been my cue to get antsy about Halloween. I've been a long time admirer of Sam Heimer's work and was finally able to put a few pieces from his Etsy shop into my review queue. Although I plan on buying whatever he's been hinting at on his Instagram, for now I settled for a pack of pinback buttons and a small art/comic/sketch book that I've been dying to get a look at.

Sam Heimer's work is dark; I'm not just talking about the subject matter, which features ghouls, Death, and Halloween. With muted tones and a heavy hand with ink, Sam Heimer's art is moody and dark, a number of his pieces remind me of woodcuts with traces of 20's Halloween advertisements.

The two buttons I purchased ( and indeed the only buttons in the shop) are going on my button board, although I'll probably take them off to wear around in October. One features a screeching Jack-o-Lantern and the other cheerily implores you to "Keep It Creepy!". Both are very simple and stylish.




I miss out on the pre-orders for Heimer's mini book, The Decoy and the Detective with a Melted Face", but a few weeks after the pre-orders closed I was happy to find out that there were a few extra copies left up in the store. The Decoy and the Detective with a Melted Face is series of sketches and story bits from a comic that Sam Heimer will never finish. It's a pity because the few pages that have story in it are intense and interesting. I'm glad that Heimer decided to share this small sketch book, even of the comic itself won't reach fruition, because the art inside is incredible.



I'll probably be revisiting Sam Heimer once his Halloween lineup is out for this year.

Stay Fanatic.
Megh

No comments:

Post a Comment