Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Shop Review: Burke & Hare Co.

Scented candles! I'm a sucker for them. Especially when they have neat names and smell like the ocean or a haunted apple orchard. That's why this week's Shop Review is of Burke & Hare Co.

Burke & Hare Co's whimsical name comes from a series of murders in 19th century Scotland by William Burke and William Hare. And while these candles are not made from corpses, they do have interesting scent mixtures: heady florals mixing with dark teas, spicy peppers and fresh citrus. 

Since Aaron had to put a stop to my candle spending, I only got a pair of travel tins, a smaller size of their candles that they only offer on occassion. I chose Mint & Ivy, because I love fresh garden smells, and Burned at the Stake which smells like smoke, because I love the smell of burning things. Especially money.

I enjoyed both very much; they delivered on the scents they promised and were more interesting than any candle readily available in common stores. The packaging is beautiful and I imagine that the glass and decorated pillar candles are even more so. They're made of soy, so they're clean burning and don't leave that strange waxy smell that normal candles sometimes leave.

I had an issue or two. I do wish that they'd offer the travel sized tins more often; I'd love to get my hands on a few more scents without having to commit to the large glass contained candles. I also thought that the scent could have been stronger. Maybe the standard sized candles spread their scent more, but I had to sit right next to the lit candle to smell it.

Overall, I'd recommend Burke & Hare Co for people that love spooky, unique candle blends to decorate their living space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment