Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Shop Review: Formulary55

Greetings, Fanatics! 

This week's Shop Review is Formulary55, a Colorado based soap company. 
Formulary55's owner has been making soaps and building her brand for over 20 years and prides herself on her small batch bath and body products. Although their website says that about 70% of their business is wholesale and their products are available in shops such as Anthropologie, I went ahead and ordered my soaps directly from their Etsy store. 

I would like to say, first off, that the soaps are packaged beautifully.

The wrapping gives off the feeling of hand cut soap blocks being covered in pages torn straight out of an antique dictionary, while still portraying a modern, clean look. It's very easy to take lovely pictures of these soaps and they would look great in a gift basket. 

I bought 3 guest bars of soap, which are about 2"x2"x1", good for placing next to the sink. The scenting on these soaps are fantastic. Tea & Tobacco was bought for Aaron, and he loved the smoky fragrance although it wasn't as strong as other tobacco scented soaps we've bought. Song of the Siren was fresh and salty, but my favorite was Narcissus. It had a fresh, grassy smell that I've been looking for in a soap that I've yet to find elsewhere. Blending essential oil is an art that I've yet to master, I highly respect those that do it well.

The fattiness/moisturizing effect of the soaps were average, I'd say. Pleasant and certainly softening, but if your main concern for a soap is how moisturizing it is I would find a more economical brand ($5/guest bar $10/body bar). 

I'll probably revisit Formulary55 again; besides soaps, they sell soaks, candles, and lotions that I'd like to try. These soaps are best left (for me at least) to be an occasional luxury or a thoughtful gift, but for those who are looking for a lovely smelling soap and are drawn to gorgeous packaging, I highly recommend Formulary55's soaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment